Tonight, I made another mistake. Instead of taking out the scraps to the compost bin like I always do—and I have no idea why I forgot; I simply left them on the counter in their container—and now have several little fruit flies buzzing around in my kitchen! Other than luring in a bat or two to eat them or spraying harmful chemicals everywhere, how am I supposed to safely get rid of them?
In my research, I found mostly preventative measures, which pretty much do nothing for me right now, except maybe smack me in the face with a great big fist of “Duh!” Discard the food, keep stuff covered, don’t leave anything out, blah blah blah. Yes. I already know all of this. But I need to know how to make the pests leave, not how to stop them from arriving. I’m invaded already.
Here are the most reasonable methods I’ve come across that I might try. Let me know if anything better has worked for you.
- Mix some apple cider vinegar with some liquid dish detergent in a shallow dish and leave it out
- Pour some beer in a jar and poke holes in the lid; again, leave it out (I wonder if margarita mix will work?)
- Put some fruit in a baggie and crush the bugs when they enter with fingertips (yeah, I don’t think I’ll be doing this one…)
- Clean up all wet areas, and put away all food
- Put all potted plants outside (no problem during this season)
- Use some standard fly paper or a bug zapper